Friday, October 12, 2007

Jeepnees


Have you ever asked yourself the question "If Jesus...what would he...?

Ever since those WWJD? bracelets were all the rage, I'm sure most of us have at least considered it. Well, I think that if Jesus lived in the Philippines today, he would ride in jeepnees.

I spent just over a week in the Philippines (Manila and Bagabag) a couple of years ago and I can give witness to the fact that jeepnees were everywhere I went. They are a kind of jeep looking vehicle -- long -- with room for more passengers than you'd probably imagine. Each one sports custom decor and, if I remember correctly, custom "horn" songs. They look like a party on four wheels. They are a fairly cheap form of reliable transportation.

They are one of the sights and sounds I'm looking forward to encountering once again when I return to the Philippines in April. Wycliffe is hosting a Vision Trip to Manila and Puerto Princesa where we will attend a huge celebration with the Kagayanen-speaking community as they receive the New Testament and Genesis. But that is a story for a different day.

No comments:

Post a Comment