Monday, May 04, 2009

from Deuteronomy 32 (a song of Moses)

 1 Listen, O heavens, and I will speak; 
       hear, O earth, the words of my mouth.

 2 Let my teaching fall like rain 
       and my words descend like dew, 
       like showers on new grass, 
       like abundant rain on tender plants.

 3 I will proclaim the name of the LORD. 
       Oh, praise the greatness of our God!

 4 He is the Rock, his works are perfect, 
       and all his ways are just. 
       A faithful God who does no wrong, 
       upright and just is he.

Moses -- 120 years old and all of his peers are dead. He knows that Joshua is going to lead the people of Israel into the Promised Land soon. He has seen this land from the mountain top but will not be entering it himself because of his own faithlessness (see the end of Deut. 32 for a brief description of that). And this is his last song to the nation he has lead for four decades. It is a song that God taught him and instructed him to sing. He has preached some extraordinary sermons over the past days (recorded as the book of Deuteronomy) recounting the Law and the journey to this place and he is about to die.

I love this introduction -- and Moses' confidence in who God is. I see this as key to all that is right about Moses. Key to his humility and his confidence. Moses was intimately engaged with the God of all creation, the Lord of Heaven and Earth, the Eternal One. 

Over the past months we've been studying the life of Moses in BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) and I've grown to love and respect Moses like never before. One of the strengths of BSF is the consistent reminder (usually through questions) that a study of God's Word is intended to impact every aspect of our lives -- our minds and hearts and souls -- and to play out in our words and actions and relationships. 

Today I ask myself how I will live differently because I know the Rock whose works are perfect and whose ways are just and right? How will that show in my attitudes and choices on a Monday in May?

-----<     >-----

When I am doing a Bible study where I need to jump from one passage to another for various questions, I love Bible Gateway. I've created a hyperlink to Bible Gateway @ Deuteronomy 32 in case you want to see this passage in context or just check out this internet tool. The other Bible tool I love is YouVerion. If you have not signed up there, you might want to at least check it out. I have an idea of how I want to use that tool over the summer (starting over the summer, anyhow) -- I'll get back to you on how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment