Friday, July 06, 2007

Isolationarianism

Don't check this at dictionary.com, you'll only affirm what you're suspecting already: I made it up.

Isolationarianism
is
when I fear becoming isolated
because of some pending or probable
future separation

and then I elevate that anticipated emotion
exponentially

so as to numb myself to it
and thereby enable myself to face the looming crisis
without falling to pieces.


The word is “new” but the behavior is classic me. Maybe it's classic you, too.

Over the years I've recognized this behavior and learned how to deal with it. But, knowing and doing are two different things. Sometimes I need a nudge in the right direction. Sometimes it takes a friend with a 2x4.

Thank God for friends and 2x4s and lunch plans and yards to weed and all the many other things He provides to help us connect when we get disconnected!

1 comment:

  1. Now there is a good new word for a spelling contest.

    ReplyDelete