Sunday, May 18, 2008

Art



Some artists creat images or expressions that speak to me in ways that other things don't connect. I can't explain it exactly.

I love Georgia O'Keffee's poppies. Red Poppy No. VI, 1928 is hanging in my family room. This image of hers of poppies is lovely too.

I love most of Vincent Van Gogh's works. And Monet's.

One artist I've been introduced to lately is Makoto Fujimura. I'm pretty sure I am only beginning to understand his work. Born in Boston, this artist has studied and worked in the USA and in Japan -- and his work reflects both of these cultures. This painting is titled THE TRINITY and was done in 1992. It is 70 x 152 inches -- painted with mineral pigment on Japanese screen.

In an essay the artist has written (and that is found on his website) inspired by the story recorded in all four Gospels of Mary's perfume offering poured on Christ's feet, Makoto offers this for our consideration:

"Is the expense justified in art? In order to answer this question, we must answer not with 'why', but 'to whom'. And it seems to me that we have only two answers to this question of 'to whom'; it's either to ourselves, or to God. We are either glorifying ourselves or God. And the extravagance can only be justified if the worth of the object of adoration is greater than the cost of extravagance. The glory of the substance poured out can only reflect the glory of the one to whom it is being poured upon. And if the object of glory is not worthy, then the act would be foolish and wasteful."

1 comment: