Sunday, May 04, 2008

Translating for Translators

At this conference we have defaulted to using languages of wider communication. That means that most sessions are in English and are being simultaneously translated into French and Spanish.

Here is a friend and colleague doing some Spanish translation during one session on Saturday morning (or was it Friday night...it is all becoming a blurrrrrrr). Maralee's journey has taken her from Orlando to Washington DC...soon to Paris (language study so she can learn French) and then on to Cameroon (I think I have that right).

I may be one of less than a dozen people in the room of 300+ who only speaks one language. Whew. What was I thinking when I skipped that track of study in high school...college...and beyond? Maralee tells me that it's not too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment